CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

The Beautiful Thing, 1960


Things are beautiful if you love them.
_____ Jean Anouilh

Beautiful things have always been important to me. That is I suppose, why I became an artist.


The Beautiful Thing


                I can say without a doubt that the most beautiful things I have ever seen were my two sons. Not that there haven’t been times when the frustrations and tribulations of parenting led me to believe that maybe they were somewhat less that beautiful, because there have been.  The first time I saw their little red wrinkled faces I fell in love, forever, unquestioning, irrevocably and unconditionally. Slimy and bloody, I saw them as miracles and that has not changed even after all these years. Whenever I lost patience with them all it took was moment of stillness or a night’s sleep and everything clarified itself, came full circle and they were again beautiful to me in every way. They are men now and some people may not, for whatever reason thinks that they are beautiful but they certainly are to me and all ways will be, no matter what.

            When I was seventeen and in military school I took Spanish classes. Although I was not gifted in languages, (not even English), I was fascinated by the study of Spanish and actually got reasonably competent at speaking it. Part of the reason my grades were as good as they were was because I dated the Spanish teacher’s Daughter and went over to her house several times a week. From my dorm room to her house was less than a quarter of a mile and was considered on campus, which meant I could walk to her house and never leave campus.  Leaving campus was against the rules for all cadets except on certain days and in certain circumstances. The Spanish teacher’s daughter and I would sit in their living room with the gauzy lace sheer curtains blowing against the window to kiss and cautiously fondle each other for hours on end. She was a beautiful girl with eyes as black as the darkest night and skin as brown and warm as a summer’s afternoon. Like all good things our little romance eventually came to an end. Military School ended and I went home for the summer where I immediately started a campaign for my parents to take me to Mexico where I could practice my newly establish Spanish language skills, such as they were. They reluctantly agreed after I explained the positive educational benefits it would afford me. My brother David, just three years older than me was twenty or twenty-one and far too mature and independent to be traveling with his parents and little brother. “There is no way I would go off on a trip with you and that’s for sure!” He often declared. He somehow got caught up in the excitement during the planning stages of the trip and ultimately agreed to make the trip with us, despite his serious reservations. No one pressured him in any way to go but I think he was afraid that he might miss something if he didn’t go. So he went along and complained, moaned and groaned the entire time. He hated the food, the plane trip and most all being with me for such a long uninterrupted amount of time. Clearly he should have stayed home. Because he was so unhappy he virtually ruined the entire trip for the rest of us. We left south Alabama near the first of July. A hot and sultry, dusty month that time of year there and we flew away to Mexico City where I expected more hot and dry weather. When we arrived there was a torrential rainstorm where wind, thunder and lightning greeted us on our arrival. We almost froze to death getting off the plane because at that point in time you walked from the airplane to the terminal in whatever weather was prevailing. This first introduction to Mexico City was anything but what I had expected, cold and wet. Brother David thought everything was terrible, “I hate this place!” He stated on the way to the terminal in the rain for the first of many times and how sorry he was that he came.

            We toured Mexico City and the surrounding areas for several days seeing points of interest, the large University of Mexico complex with Diego Rivera murals adorning the exterior walls, Maximilian’s palace, deserted monasteries and assorted museums. Bougainville vines hung twinning from many upright structures blooming in profusion in brilliant shades of almost garish brilliant colors. On an excursion outside the city one day we stopped at a cock fighting farm. Here a man in a large colorful hat placed two iridescent beautifully colored roosters in a small circular pen where they began to attack each other with unrestrained fury. They lunged feverishly at each other with razor sharp spurs attached to their ankles, sharpened metal devices making the deadly birds even more lethal. They fought till blood was dripping from their bodies and collected on the sandy floor of the pit. Finally one of the chickens fell over onto his side mortally wounded as the other combatant mounted him and crowed a victorious winner’s cackle, spurring him one more time for good measure. This experience was a preamble to the next day when we went to the Bull Fights. The whole experience was most impressive even though it was far bloodier that the now seemingly insignificant cock fights. The brilliantly attired matadors and picadors along with their horses and the rest of the spectacle were extraordinary despite being almost overwhelming in its intensity and cruelty. It impressed me immensely despite the obviously brutal and malicious treatment of the bulls. One night in the city my father hired a taxi which toured us through numerous interesting spots including a park where dozens of Mariachi bands all played at once, for tips. After the mariachi park the taxi driver drove us to one of the most horrendous slum area in the city. It was appalling how the people there had to endure. They had nothing, not even clothing for their brown skinned children who stood naked in the doorways and loitered hungrily everywhere staring with vacant eyes. It was exceedingly disturbing and at the same time enthralling and you could not look away despite the awful situation they were in. We looked at them in almost total silence as though they were animals in a zoo, a little frightened and a little thankful. They looked unflinchingly back.

            Returning to the hotel we walked through the extravagant lobby where I noticed a slick, full color brochure on one of the side tables next to the sofa where a massive brass chandelier with prisms of crystal hung reflecting a rainbow of colors above.  Picking up the brochure I saw an advertisement for a hotel in another city on the west coast of Mexico. The city was called Acapulco and it looked like a paradise of tropical plants, crystal blue water and striking women in bathing suits. One photo depicted an attractive dark eyed beauty swimming through a swimming pool of the bluest water imaginable. On the surface of the water floated thousands of Gardenia blossoms which she paddled through. The girl’s black hair trailed behind her in the photograph like a shadow of the blackest silk. It contrasted with the snow white gardenias and took my breath away. The next morning after having a fairly erotic dream about this infatuating stranger I woke to insist over breakfast to my parents that we make a side trip to this new arresting destination. This place I had to visit. David said, “No, no I want to go home and I want to go today!” I mentioned that in the brochure it said that Acapulco was world famous for their sail fishing and people from all over the world came there to catch the fish. Perhaps it might be fun to go out fishing for them. This ameliorated David somewhat as he, like my father was an avid fisherman. Mother and daddy were reluctant to say yes but ultimately they agreed. We flew to Acapulco from Mexico City and were dazzled by all the natural beauty we encountered. The hotel from the brochure was a little less than impressive once we got there but we checked in anyway. The many individual little bungalows were separated from each other and perched on a hillside that careened steeply down into the incredibly vast Pacific Ocean. The whole place was more than a little shabby but clearly had been awesome in its day, many years previous. Huge malevolent looking iguanas lay sunning on the tops of enormous rocks surrounded by vivid multicolored Crotons and other exotic plants adjacent to the walking paths. These monster’s eyes seemed animated and oddly clicked as they followed you as you passed. Some were huge and quite scary if you happened upon them unexpectedly. It would not have surprised me at all if they had scrambled off the rocks and charged directly towards me taking large bites of flesh from my legs. Having no experience with reptilian creatures almost as large as myself I didn’t want anything to do with them but the only way to go from one part of the complex to another was to pass by these monsters lounging in and around the paths and on the rocks that abutted the trails.

            Breakfast was served on the boat docks next to the beautiful crystalline sapphire water of the Pacific Ocean where boats rocked in pulsing unison with the surging ocean. Lunch was offered in a fresh air pavilion overlooking the ocean atop a windswept cliff. Dinner was served at an enclosed more formal area in the middle of the complex. For lunch one day we went to a different restaurant perched on the edge of the Pacific Ocean closer into town. Here brown skinned Mexican boys dove from dizzying heights into a turquoise water filled horseshoe shaped lagoon. The divers were extraordinarily impressive. They leaped from rocks jutting out from the steep hill sides of the mountain. When the waves were out the youths dove but they timed is in such a way that when they landed at the bottom of this precipice the waves had refilled the small inlet completely. They hit just at the moment when the waves rushed back in.  If the boy’s timing had been off they would clearly dive disastrously into nothing but a sandy rock littered beach. None of them did this of course. When the diving episode was over, the Mexican boys came up to the dining area dripping wet smelling of sea water and passed through the people seated at the tables in the restaurant to collect coins for their diving efforts.

            After breakfast one morning we went down to one of the many boat docks circling the cove area of the city where numerous partially dilapidated fishing boats rocked uncertainly adjacent to the wooden docks. Everything smelled of briny water and fish. It was not an objectionable odor and not uncommon to us as we had a cabin in the panhandle of Florida on the Gulf of Mexico and fished and frolicked there in the summers. Daddy had chartered one of the Mexican fishing boats through the concierge at the hotel for a day’s soirée fishing. Many boats sloshed about in the briny water one of which we boarded and went out in pursuit of the exotic Sail Fish which was of great interest to all of us. On the swaying boat we rode for what seemed like hours to get far enough out into the Pacific where the Sailfish were found. We started fishing dragging silver cigar minnows through the water behind the boat elaborately rigged with hooks leaders and line by the Mexican men and boys working on the boat. After trolling for hours I finally fell asleep in the trolling seat with the butt of the rod firmly jammed down between my legs, oblivious to any further happenings. In some time one of the Mexican men awoke me crying “Ola, ola”. I sat up quickly, just in time to see the sail of a huge fish attacking my bait far behind the boat. This woke me up instantly and adrenaline began to race through my veins. One of the Mexican men helping on the boat ran up behind me and flipped the drag off my reel and let the line race away into the hypnotic deep blue water. This was like no fishing I had ever experienced and seemed counterproductive. Apparently sail fish need the release time to run swallow the hook and get prepared for the show they ultimately put on. The reel screamed as the line shot further and further away. The assortment of Mexicans seemed to race about the boat in fast forward all readying things for the struggle with the huge sailfish. I was just about to panic when the Mexican flipped the drag back on. That’s when it happened. My reel jerked, bent over double and the fish rose from the depths of the ocean and shot up into the air to an alarming height, throwing salt water in a huge half circular spray. The butt of the rod lunged upwards from the tension the fish exerted on the line and pounded me in the testicles. I made an awful sound and bent over double without losing the end of the rod. The sailfish was enormous and a shade of blue I had only seen in the tail of a peacock, like no other color. He danced and rocked on the tip of his tail flipping and skittering across the water doing what appeared to be some other worldly feverish dance on the top of the water. It flipped, spun and twirled in ways I would have thought impossible had I not seen it with my own two eyes. Water spewed and foamed as he shook his massive head and jerked his bill back and forth in the dance he preformed. We all lost our breath. It was amazing! My Dad excitedly said, “That’s the God damnedest thing I ever saw!” He almost never used profanity and I knew this was indeed an extraordinary moment in time!

            The fish fought valiantly for what must have been fifteen or twenty minutes. When it was over he was completely exhausted and only once as I reeled him in and he neared to stern of the boat did he muster enough energy to race briefly away. Finally he succumbed to the insistent pull of my line and rolled onto his side as he gave up his escape attempt. The two Mexicans at the stern of the boat pulled the huge fish onto the gunwale of the boat. I absolutely could not believe my eyes. The colors on the sailfish fish flashed like a strobe light displaying different shades of blue, aqua, turquoise, flecked with flickering purple spots and a green patina all over his body, sail and tail. It was though in his final minutes of life his beauty was beyond anything conceivable to a human eye. Stringy crimson blood poured from his gills in a prodigious stream and leaked off the side of the boat into the water turning it a temporary shade of pink as it effaced out into the salty water. It almost made me cry it was so amazing and I knew this he was in his final moment of life as his rib cage and gills shuddered and slowed in the afternoon light. The thing was so incredibly stunning that I knew it was a sin to kill it. The matter was however out of my hands, Daddy said, “No! Of course we’re not going to release it we’re going to have him stuffed to hang on the wall at the office of the mill.” The fish weighed right at a hundred twenty seven pounds and I will never get over the experience of catching it. Watching it dance, seeing its colors as it laid dying on the deck of the boat and finally knowing that I was responsible for killing such a magnificent living thing. The fishing continued and in a short while we hooked another sail that performed much as the first one had and was equally as incredible. We killed this fish as well. Later in the afternoon after we returned to the docks and were waiting for a taxi to come and return us to the hotel I saw it. A truck drove by. A dump truck passed that was filled to the brim and rounded over on top overflowing with the dismembered bodies of hundreds of sailfish. I was thunderstruck. All of them long dead with their beautiful colors faded and gone. All caught in the space of this one single day. They were, at that point nothing very impressive, just a truck load of dead fish. The image remained with me for the rest of my life.

            Months and months later a large box arrived in Dothan Alabama from Mexico. It was opened and the remains of the magnificent fish were unpacked and hung with great pride and ceremony on the wall of my father’s small office. It was absolutely nothing to look at. Dull, lifeless, color all wrong, sad and almost obscene. The bill of the fish stuck out into the space where it impeded any passerby and invariably poked them in the arm or neck. I rarely went into my father’s dusty, saw dust sprinkled office and saw the fish that I didn’t feel a deep sense of shame, regret and embarrassment. Eventually the remains of the fish were relegated to the dirty crawl space underneath the small building that served to house my father’s office where it slowly decomposed and eventually disappeared there in the dark.

tbd

0 comments: